Including Criminal Code, Highway Traffic, Income Tax, and Regulatory Offences

Private Victim/Witness Assistance Program in Ottawa

*this article was updated on December 29, 2023

I defend people who are charged with offences. I also represent victims and witnesses who want someone with my background on their side. You can learn more about my background at 'Lisa's Message' by clicking here.

Like my defence representation, this is a private service - it is not associated with government at all. I offer it as an alternative to, or in addition to, the various government or government-funded agencies that provide similar services. My program is different in these respects:

1. No conflict of interest.

You may feel that your interests are in opposition to government or government-funded agencies. Since I am a private lawyer whom you retain (hire) directly, there is no conflict of interest with me.

2. Solicitor-client privilege to discuss evidence.

Whereas some other agencies or organizations have a policy to not discuss the evidence of your case, we will discuss it in detail if you like. We can do that because our discussions are solicitor-client privileged.

3. Helping you to get charges withdrawn.

Whereas other agencies will not usually assist you to have charges against someone withdrawn, I will help you with that if that is your goal. I am your legal advocate.

4. Drafting your Victim Impact Statement to be powerful.

Unfortunately, many victims are terribly unsatisfied with how their VIS is treated in court. We can maximize its impact, within the parameters of the law.

5. Educating you as to how the legal system really works.

I provide an overview of the criminal justice system for you, and it may include a discussion of any relevant changes to the system by recent amendments to the Criminal Code of Canada if relevant. We may also review the civil law system and how it could impact you.

6. Preparing you to testify. 

I can prepare you to testify, even through role-playing if you like. Victims are required to testify at times, and can be taken by surprise.

7. Preparing you to give a statement to the police. 

We consider not only what to say, but what not to say.

8. Obtaining information about the offender's sentence.

Jail-related information for you about the person who victimized you, such as their release date

9. Facilitating your input at Parole Board hearings.

I'll give you important advice before you make statements.

Call me at 613.203.4874 to book an appointment.