1. No conflict of interest.
You may feel that your interests are in opposition to government or government-funded agencies. Since I am a private lawyer whom you retain (hire) directly, there is no conflict of interest.
2. Solicitor-client privilege to discuss evidence.
Whereas some other agencies or organizations have a policy to not discuss the evidence of your case, we will discuss it in detail if you like. We can do that because our discussions are solicitor-client privileged.
3. Helping you to get charges withdrawn.
Whereas other agencies will not usually assist you to have charges against someone withdrawn, I will help you with that if that is your goal. I am your legal advocate.
4. Drafting your Victim Impact Statement to be powerful.
Unfortunately, many victims are terribly unsatisfied with how their VIS is treated in court. We can maximize its impact, within the parameters of the law.
5. Educating you as to how the legal system really works, emphasis on really.
I provide an overview of the criminal justice system for you, with the aid of charts and other graphics. We will also review the civil law system and how it could impact you.
6. Preparing you to testify.
I can prepare you to testify, even through role-playing if you like. Even victims are required to testify at times, and can be taken by surprise.
7. Obtaining information about the offender's sentence.
Jail-related information for you about the person who victimized you, such as their release date.
8. Facilitating your input at Parole Board hearings.
I'll give you important advice before you make statements.
Call me at 613.203.4874 to book an appointment.